Friday, June 12, 2009

Interview with the kid

Happy Friday!!!



The Burgess clan are very glad to finally have Friday upon us. This has been a very busy week indeed. We are only a few short weeks from our family vacation to Pismo Beach, San Diego, and Laguna Beach...so we're on "countdown mode" and we know the next few weeks will fly on by.



So you're probably wondering what the title of this post means. There is a writer for ESPN called "The Sports Guy", who writes about all things sports-related. He also writes columns about Pop Culture, current events, and everything else under the sun. His writing usually hits home with me, and is always super funny. You can find his stuff at: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index



To get to the point, he sometimes does "hypothetical" interviews in his columns, where he will pretend to interview an athlete or celebrity, and then make up the responses based on what he thinks that the person would say....or what he HOPED that person would say. They end up being pretty darn funny, and I thought we could take a stab at doing one with Landon today....


So here goes....



Daddy (D): Hey Kid! How goes it?



Landon (L): Oh pretty good...you know...just spent a few minutes taking down all your cologne bottles and hiding them around the house...I can't complain.



D: Really? Nice, that'll be fun for me! So how's the summer treating you?



L: What summer? It's been overcast and windy here. I thought you and Mom said it was supposed to be hot right now. I mean, I can chill in my diapers at home, but when we head outside, I got a rep to protect man. Speaking of the way I look, are you and Mom ever going to cut my freaking hair? I look like Bill Ray Cyrus mid-mullet years right now! Look at the picture, then look at me...I look more like him than you these days Dad! Ooh, wait a minute...did Mom ever meet this guy?


D: That's enough of that kind of talk young man! Yeah, I know...we've been meaning to do that. The problem is, we're a little scared to do it ourselves, because you bounce all over the place during the day...I guess we could try it while you're sleeping or something.

L: Have you ever seen me sleep? And you call yourself my Dad! I'm like a break-dancer when the lights go out. I start out sleeping on my back, then I go side-to-side....then I'll stick my butt straight up in the air for a bit, and I'll finish off the night by sitting straight up and looking around...so you and Mom think I'm awake...but I'm not! Suckers!

D: Oh, so that's how it goes huh? Alright, on to other topics. Here's a question for you...what's up with the bucket head thing you got going on?

L: Oh that...umm....

Well, it's kind of fun...I mean, I'm looking at you one second, and then the next second, I'm not! I mean, you can see me, then I'm gone...it's sort of like magic, right?
D: Uhh....not sure how to tell you this son...but we can still see you, even when the bucket is on your head....you don't actually disappear or anything...just thought I'd give you the heads up.
L: Awww Dad...you're such a joker!

D: Next question...why is it you have to climb on everything these days? I mean, you can see everything on the dinner table while we're eating...if you point to something, we give it to you...why do you still feel the need to climb up there?

L: I'm glad you asked that question Dad. The answer is pretty easy actually...BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY AWESOME! Yeah, I can sit there and wait for you guys to put food on my tray to eat....or I can climb up there myself, grab the plate with all the food on it, and tip it into my mouth...it gets into my belly that much faster...After all, I AM a big boy...and that's how we roll!

D: Well my boy, I'm not exactly sure that totally makes sense...but I'll let it slide for now. So how are you liking daycare these days? Are we getting our money's worth?

L: Daycare is great. Just yesterday my teacher Mrs. Pam told me that I am "too smart for my own good" and that my parents (meaning you Dad) are in for a world of trouble. So you have that to look forward to. But seriously, I spend all day with my boys...we play a bunch, eat until we're in a food coma, sleep it off, then repeat the cycle...it's great...sort of like how you went through college! HA HA!...gotcha Pops!

D: You have me there Bud. Well, this interview went longer than expected. Anything you want to add?
L: Yeah, are you really going to use that picture of me? Seriously? I think it was taken when I was sick or something...I look like I just got hit by a truck. I'm not kidding Dad, if you post it, I may have to sue...that is not cool.
D: I hate to break it to you son, but I'm the Dad, and since I run this blog, I can do whatever I please...any last words?
L: BUH-BYE DAD-DDY!

(By the way, that last sentence was Landon's first real sentence!! He has started to put those two words together, as well as "Hi Dad-dy"....he really sounds out each syllable, but it is totally hilarious and he gets so serious when he does it).
We've got a garage sale tomorrow, and we're taking the kid and the dogs for a little visit to the lake on Sunday...should be a fun weekend, and we'll snap some more pics...Enjoy the time off!

1 comment:

BeccaMac said...

I didn't realize what a smart-ass Landon is. I guess he'll be able to hang with his "aunt" Becca.