Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend Rituals

It seems like every Sunday, Dustin and I sit and blog about our weekends and how quickly they pass. So here I sit again...but this time, we'll tell you a little more about the little things we do on the weekends. The not so blog worthy, plain jane weekend rituals that have come to be in the Burgess household.

Every Saturday and Sunday morning, for as long as I can remember (okay, at least the last 18 months!) this is how our weekends go. There are a few things, that regardless of what other plans we have, a few things remain constant. Ritualistic you could say. It usually begins around 7:30am. We wake up and spend about 15 minutes or so just hanging out, all 5 of us, in bed. Yes, that's right - it's our family cuddle time. Both dogs, upon hearing we're awake jump up and join us on the foot of the bed.This doesn't last long though because we're all hungry and ready to eat. One of us gets up and changes Landon, the other feeds the impatient dogs. Then it's time to feed ourselves. Every weekend morning, Dustin and I eat the same thing. Yes, it may sound boring, but we love it! I make bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches and hash browns. I'm not sure how we got on this kick, but it's so yummy! Landon usually just cruises around playing on the floor lately, while I make breakfast. As you can see in the video Dustin took this morning. For those that can't view it, I'm sorry, but if it's any consolation, you might get a stiff neck watching it since you have to turn your head to the side to see it. We didn't realize you can't take videos with the camera vertically. Oops! After breakfast (well during actually) we sit and watch what I refer to as "Saturday Morning Cartoons" which is either Smallville (one of Dustin's favorites) or we watch Grey's Anatomy or Private Practice while feeding Landon and having our morning coffee. After coffee, it's time for the morning walk! We try to walk our dogs daily on the weekdays, but the weekend walks always tend to be my favorite. Landon loves to ride in his stroller and it's always so pretty and peaceful in the mornings. We typically walk about 3 miles around our neighborhood and just enjoy the morning and each other's company. Plus, it's always fun to see what kind of crap people have for sale in their garage sales! I'm a big believer in the fact that the only difference between a garage sale and trash pick up is the distance to the curb. My Mom on the other hand LOVES garage sales...it always cracks me up!


By the time we get back from our walk, it's typically around 10 and time for Landon's morning nap. He gets a little shut eye while Dustin and I make up a grocery list and figure out what our plans are for the day. It might not seem like much, but those little things go a long way. You could bet money that this is how our weekends start EVERY SINGLE weekend. Wake, breakfast, walk, nap/plan and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Now, on to the non-routine things. It's been getting cooler here in Sac, so Dustin and I decided it was time to get Landon some warmer PJ's. He's been fine in his 100% cotton footed pajamas, but he's starting to get more restless while he sleeps and always ends up kicking off his blanket. With the temps getting into the 40's at night, we knew he needed something warmer. As many of you know, Mervyn's is going out of business so we took advantage of their clearance sales and bought Landon some new PJ's. Of course, after hitting up Mervyn's we went to Target only to find the same PJ's we just bought you could get a 2 pack for the same price as a single at Mervyn's. How irritating! I would have thought the "going out of business" sale would have had the best deals. Anyhow, here's a picture of Landon in his new fleece PJ's. I know Grampa Skip, Grampa Steve and Uncle Tim would be proud!

One funny new thing that has happened is Landon's fascination with the vacuum. While our 100lb dogs run and cower, Landon chases after the vacuum with fierce enthusiasum. He loves it! If he's not chasing after it, he's sitting on the coach watching me, laughing at the vacuum. It's pretty comical!

Okay, that's enough of my rambling for now. We'll have to get into what we did last night in another post. Hope everyone had a good weekend! Check back!

No comments: