
Good Morning and Happy Weekend to you all!
So you may be wondering why the heck this post is titled "Snuffleupagus"...well, the actual reason is that Landon is still super congested and I wanted a title that had some reference to having a cold or something...but also because we started watching the Baby Einstein movies with Landon this weekend and some of the muppet-like characters reminded me of one of my favorites when I watched Sesame Street as a kid... I also like the Count, and Landon gets a kick out of it when I imitate the Count doing his counting thing..."One, ah ha ha....TWO!! ah ha ha....THREE!!!, ah ha ha.....ok, that's enough of that...so that was a long-winded reason as to why I named this title "Snuffleupagus"...
As for the baby, he's still pretty darn sick...and we're going on Day #9...the doctor said that it should typically only last about 10 days, but we have yet to see any sign that it's tapering off. We feel so helpless right now because you really can't give a baby any kind of medicine. We've got the humidifier working over time, we've been using a plug-in vaporizer thing that makes our house smell like someone went and rubbed mentholatum all over the floors, we've put a little Vick's Vapor rub on his chest, and we even purchased a battery-operated aspirator (for those of you that don't know what this is, it's basically a battery-powered snot sucker)....needless to say, Landon thinks the noises are cool, but he's not a huge fan of us sticking it up his nose!
But even with all these different things that we've been trying, the poor guy is just super congested. Most of the day he is still his very happy little self...but we notice a very big change when he is either trying to eat or trying to sleep. For the eating, he just can't get any air through his nose, and babies can't breathe out of their mouths while they are sucking, so it makes it a very difficult process...it's like he's bobbing for apples and every so often he pops his head up and gasps for air...it's half hilarious, half heart-breaking.
The sleeping is difficult because he lies flat while sleeping and that does not help his congested nose. I'm actually going to try to slightly incline the mattress in his crib today to see if that helps...but as of now, he's fighting the naps with everything he's got!
So that pretty much covers what has been going on with us this past week. While all I've really discussed today has been the sick baby....when you have a sick baby, that's pretty much all there is! I put in a very long day in the sun yesterday working on the front yard...I continue to make a good amount of progress, and I think I'll be ready for sod in another weekend or two...it sure is taking a long time and expending most of my energy, but hopefully all of the hard work will pay off when it's time to put our house on the market.
Michaela and I were also very bummed that we could not make it to my cousin Bri's wedding....she got married on Friday afternoon in the San Jose area, but since I'm so new to my job, I wasn't able to take any time off to get down there...so we wanted to send her a special "CONGRATULATIONS!" from us and the baby...we heard that it was a beautiful ceremony and a very special day all-around. Hopefully it was exactly as they pictured and a day they'll never forget.
So I think about covers it for today. Michaela and I are actually going to start printing out some of older posts from the blog. We are planning to put together a binder with each post laminated in it...we're going to call it "Landon's first year"...then when he's older, he can come back and read what it was like for him and us this first year. Just so you know, the comments that you guys post on the blog will make it into the binder, so please continue to post comments (especially if there is anything that you want Landon to read some years from now).
Ok...I'm off to eat some breakfast and work on my fantasy football strategy...Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment