Friday, August 28, 2009

Watch Your Mouth!

Happy Friday Everybody! It’s been a fairly quiet week in the Burgess Household, with Work and School taking up most of our time. There were a couple of fun things of note, that we’ll share for your reading pleasure…

We'll start with last weekend. As we have mentioned before, Michaela is in training for a half-marathon in October, and has been increasing her running mileage every week. I am constantly amazed and very proud of how well Michaela is doing, and she now leaves me in the dust on a regular basis. Last weekend she met our friend KC at Folsom Lake to run 8 miles. Since it was a nice morning, Landon and I met KC's husband John and their son Nicholas for some male bonding while the Mom's went running. It was a really fun morning, as we hiked around the wilderness for a bit and then grabbed a nice breakfast afterwards. I have intermixed some pictures from that morning along with some others in this post. For Enjoy!



One fun thing that we did this week was taking Landon to get his very first haircut today. He was really great, as he just sat there on Michaela's lap the entire time and we were in and out in less than 10 minutes. You'll definitely be able to tell the difference between the before and after pictures with regards to his haircut...doesn't he look like a handsome little boy with his new do?


Did I mention that Landon has started cussing???

I’m not kidding, he’s started cussing…and he can’t even say his name yet! I’m going to say that he picked it up from overhearing his Mommy, and I’m sure that she’ll say that he got it from me…but any way that you want to look at it, one of his new phrases is “Oh Shit!” (pardon my French).


We were hanging out in the backyard yesterday and he was playing with his golf club, when he up and threw his club across the yard saying this new phrase while he did so. I don’t know if he was trying to channel his inner John Daly or if he was just pointing out a fresh steaming pile from one of our dogs, but he said it….and then he said it again, and again, and again. The first few times we thought it was pretty darn funny, but after it was clear that he had it down, we decided it’s probably best that he doesn’t say it….I mean, he isn’t even 18 months old yet and that’d just be weird, right? But we don’t want to discourage him from talking, so we’ll just convince him that he was trying to say “sit” and then we’ll work with him to say that…so no harm, no foul for now.

While I am happy that Summer is winding down and we’re getting to the cooler weather, Michaela is not so happy to be losing the heat (she’s an Arizona girl all the way). One of the nice things about it though is that we’re hoping Landon’s echzema will finally start to calm down. As we’ve mentioned before, he has insanely dry skin (inherited from me unfortunately) and the poor guy has red splotches and scratch marks all over his body. We’ve been working on it very diligently and consulting the doctors quite a lot, and we feel that we’re finally making some progress on that front…but it’s been rough for all three of us up to this point, as he gets so itchy that he can’t sleep….which means that we can’t sleep either and all of us look like we were at an all-night rave by the time we’re rolling in to work. So here’s hoping we’ve turned the corner on that and Landon doesn’t itch and all three of us can get some sleep.

Speaking of the impending arrival of cooler temperatures, it recently occurred to us that we need to go shopping. Landon has grown like a weed this past year and we really don’t have any cold weather clothes that fit him! There may be one or two pairs of pants, but that’s about it…we had already recognized the fact that he was going to need shoes other than sandals, but we realized that we don’t even have socks that we can cram his Fred Flinstone-feet in to….so we’ll be off to do some of that over the next few weeks….the one saving grace that we have now is that clothes for kids his age aren’t terribly expensive…we can just imagine what it’ll be like when he hits Junior High School and he’s growing out of $100 Basketball shoes every few months (now I know what my Parents felt like)…


As for the coming weekend, we don’t have a ton of plans, which is really pretty exciting for us. It seems like we’ve had something planned every weekend since June and we are looking forward to relaxing and just “going with the flow” for a change. The only thing on the calendar so far is we are hosting another Fantasy Football Draft on Saturday afternoon…The start of the NFL season is definitely one of my favorite times of year and I was super excited last night when Landon came and sat down with me to watch 15 minutes of a preseason game I was checking out…I tried to make it super exciting for him by giving him the “play by play” announcements, and he seemed moderately interested for a spell….oh well, only a few short years until he’ll know more about the league than I will (hopefully).

And the last thing I thought was “post-worthy” today is in regards to Landon’s favorite new toy….here’s a picture of him with it, can you tell what it is?


If you guessed a makeup brush, then you are correct. I think this picture is funny because he's chewing on a makeup brush while kicking his leg out backwards as if he's practicing for the ice-capades or ballet or something (another "not good" sign). Every morning when he wakes up he goes into the bathroom where Michaela is getting ready for work and plays with her makeup. She had a spare brush lying around and he has since adopted it as his own…he now cruises around the house with it and won't get into the car for school without it (although I won't let him take it into school)....while I know it’s just a funny stage that he’s in, I’d be less than truthful if I said that it didn’t freak me out a little….but I’ll keep pushing the sports, and unless he starts walking around in heels and mascara, I think we’ll be ok.

Hope you have a great weekend!

2 comments:

BeccaMac said...

I swear he didn't learn it from me! :-)

Amy said...

LOL! If he's like Clayton if you laugh he'll keep doing it...good luck training him to say sit! :)