Thursday, September 3, 2009

Looking Ahead

Hey Everybody,

We hope that your week is going faster than ours….for some reason, this week is just dragging along….maybe it’s the swings in temperature (going from very hot, to cool, to humid, and back), maybe it’s the building anticipation of the coming Labor Day Weekend, or maybe it’s the lack of sleep that we’re getting this week (as Landon has been all over the place with regards to his sleep pattern). Any way we look at it, the week seems to have taken twice as long as a normal week, but at least the weekend is now within our grasp.

When we get set to write a blog post, some times we have plenty to talk about (depending on what kinds of craziness Landon has enacted upon us during the week) and other times we struggle to come up with a couple of interesting sentences. Since this week was a very normal aka boring one, we are electing to have more of a hypothetical conversation for the remainder of this post.

As Landon is going to be hitting the 18-month mark two weeks from tomorrow, we thought it might be fun to talk about the things that we’re looking forward to for his next 6 months. I thought I would start by taking a look at what http://www.babycenter.com/ lists as things that a 2-year old should be doing:

The child’s vocabulary should be at least 50 – 75 words (Landon is well on his way, although I’m thinking at least 40 of them will be animals and Disney characters), and he will soon learn how to string them into phrases and sentences such as “want milk” or “baby sleep” (although I’m thinking it’ll be more like “more Mickey” and “bad dog”).

On a side note, it says that parent’s who talk to their kids help them develop the best vocabulary. So the glaring question in my head is: are there parents out there that don’t talk to their kids? They just go through life ignoring them? We talk to our dogs for goodness sake! I am not sure I believe this…oh yeah, then it goes on to say “Moms tend to use more comforting and nurturing words drawn from the child's own world, while dads are more likely to talk about less-familiar interests, researchers say.”…so what I get from that is that Moms love their kids and want to teach them, whereas Dads want their kids to watch football with them or discuss their stock portfolios….really? I’m thinking Dads are getting a raw deal here.

At two years of age we can start reducing his fat intake, which means no more Whole Milk (2% is one step closer to Skim Milk)…woohoo!.

During the second year most kids will gain around 5 lbs and add 2 ½ inches in length…so based on Landon’s intake of HGH and his crazy ginormous genes, he should be tipping the scales about at 37-40 lbs and standing roughly 35-37” by the end of this year….which means I have about 2 more years before I have to start worrying about him hitting me back!

I think that’s all I want to cover with regards to what he’s “supposed” to do by next year. One of the many things that I’ve learned as a parent is that it’s not wise to compare your child to any kind of measuring stick, as all kids are different and that they are really just going to do things when they’re good and ready!

I did want to cover some fun things that I am anticipating in the upcoming months. While there’s no guarantee that all of them will come to pass, there is a pretty good chance that we’ll be able to fit all of them into our “busy” schedule…

This Christmas will be the first one where he’s mobile and will actually get excited about the toys. While he did enjoy all the presents he got last year, he wasn’t really getting around well, and he wasn’t nearly as expressive and interactive as he is now. I’m also looking forward to watching the Christmas cartoon specials (ie. Frosty, Rudolph, the Grinch, etc.) with him, as I think he’ll really get into them…I mean, they all have animals in there, so we know he’ll love ‘em!

The first time we take him up to the snow should be a blast. We didn’t make it up this past year and I’ve promised Michaela that we’ll take Landon and the dogs up to play around this year…it will be the dogs first time in the snow as well, so we should be in for some crazy behavior….I’m looking forward to seeing what they all think of it.

Playing in the rain with Landon should be fun as well. He didn’t really know what to think of it last year, but now that he’s older, wiser, and more adventurous, I see him loving it.

I will admit that I’m very much looking forward to the upcoming football season, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Landon will enjoy watching the games with me. If not, it may end up being a battle royale to see if it’s Tony Romo or Mickey Mouse that ends up on-screen…if I was a betting man I’d probably put my money on Mr. Mouse.

I’m sure we’ll start trying to introduce the potty training over the next 6 months, so I’m half excited and half petrified to see how that turns out! It’ll also be cool to see what types of things he’ll want to learn in the upcoming months (I’m hoping that swinging a golf club is high on the list)…

I’m sure there are a hundred more things that I could list here, but I’ll leave it where we are. The only thing that I do know about the next 6 months, is if they are anything like the past 18, we’re in for a wild ride full of laughter, tears, tantrums, bumps, bruises, messes, and a lot of love!

2 comments:

BeccaMac said...

I too am definately looking forward to holidays with a kid. I loved them so much without a kid I can imagine it is only better with one!

Morris Family said...

One of these Christmas' we should plan a McBurgorris Family trip at a ski resort! Can't believe he's hitting the 18 month mark already! Any temper tantrums yet as he is approaching the dreaded terrible twos?!