Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Whale of a Tale!

So I lied, I don’t actually have a whale of a tale…it’s more of a tale about a whale…a whale by the name of Landon aka “The Tub-A-Lubs” Burgess. Every week Michaela takes Landon with her to their Mommy & Me class, and every baby present gets a chance to be weighed. As you’ve seen throughout our blog, we are always very mindful of the amount of weight that he is gaining, as it’s pretty much the only failsafe way to be sure that he is getting enough food.

Well, the general rule of thumb is that a baby should gain approximately 1 ounce per day. I am pleased (and rather astounded) to report that Landon is quite the eater and has been gaining weight at a rate of 1.7 ounces per day for his first 7 weeks! It really is amazing to think that if he stays on this pace he’ll basically have doubled his birth weight at the 2-month mark next Tuesday…. Ahh, if only we could all eat like drunken grizzly bears and get away with it!!

It really just emphasizes the wonderful job that Michaela has been doing. She really has turned into an amazing mother for Landon and I just feel like the luckiest guy in the world to be a part of this family.

We think that Landon is on the tail end of another growth spurt, as he went a few days there where he needed to eat every 1 ½ to 2 hours….but he has thankfully slowed down a little (at least at night) and has been affording us stretches of 3-4 hours of sleep in a row! That really has been nice, and we’re hoping that he continues to stretch that out.

As you can see, Landon loves to make faces and one of our favorite new games is for Michaela and I to sit on the couch with the baby on one of our laps facing us. When we both talk to him he can’t decide who he wants to look at so he bounces back and forth between the two of us, smiling, cooing, giggling, and yes, still tooting. ;)

I’m telling you right now (and there are quite a few people that we know who will back this up), when you hold him in your arms and he smiles at you….your heart just melts…it’s an amazing thing. He seems to love the full on, open mouth give it all you've got, smile! :-) Any day now, that smile has a giggle behind it just waiting to come out!!

If I haven’t said this enough…I LOVE BEING A DAD!

It also occurred to me recently that I haven’t posted much about the other two boys in our family lately, and thought I should remedy that. Both Jack and Guinness are doing well. The weather out here is starting to heat up, and we think that they really miss the swimming pools that we had in our previous Arizona houses…we really do feel bad for them, but at least it’s not 120 degrees outside (sorry AZ folk)!!!

Neither dog has remained overly interested in the baby and, as far as we can tell, they have accepted him into our family with wagging tails and sagging tongues.

Other than that, not much new to report. Michaela is doing great, and she’s really looking forward to the arrival of Ramsey and Becca (her two best friends in the world….excluding yours truly) in two weeks….she is also beginning to realize that she only has one more month until she heads back to work, so that reality will be a difficult one for all of us to grasp, but we’ll get there eventually.

I’ll do my best to get one more post up before Sunday, but we’ll be in full guest bathroom-remodel mode on Saturday, so who knows how much time I’ll have. If I don’t get the chance, let me give a very early “Happy Mother’s Day” shout out to all of you mothers. Whether you hear it from your kids every day or not, you are all appreciated for everything that you do and you are loved more than you know!

No comments: