Saturday, June 14, 2008

Party time


Yesterday we went to my cousin Ashley's graduation party, and had quite a bit of fun hanging out with family and friends. I even managed to beat Scott and Zach at Nintendo Wii (although I met my match in Samantha who beat me pretty badly)....it's always fun when the family can get together and last night was extra special, as we got to celebrate Ashley's foray into adulthood...I still can't believe that she's a high school graduate!!
As you can see from the first picture, we did end up taking Landon into the pool, but it was a tad cold, so he was probably only in the water for a few minutes...Michaela has wanted to fully introduce him to the water for some time now, and she ended up dunking him once (I felt too guilty to do it)....anyhow, he did come up sputtering and a little bit shocked (partly from the cold, partly from the water)...but we think it was a successful first attempt, and we're going to continue to work with him all summer...It really is a ton of work getting a baby ready to swim though....we have to squeeze him into swimming diapers and swim trunks (as you can see, he's got the "muffin top" thing working, where his little fat rolls hang over the sides of his shorts...so it's a tough job squeezing him into anything)....then we have to apply a decent amount of baby sunscreen to his skin...which gets washed off immediately after we get home....anyhow...trust me, it's more of a job than it sounds...

Other than the swimming, he was very good last night...pretty much just hung out with his cousins and aunts/uncles...we continue to be amazed by how good he is...we really consider ourselves to be extremely lucky.
Landon's big new thing is the "Michael Jordan look"...he loves to stick his tongue all the way out, and when I say "all the way", I mean it! His tongue basically touches his chin, and he does it for hours on end...we're not sure if he's just practicing for when he becomes a world famous basketball player, if he just likes the taste of the air, or he's been hanging around Guinness and Jack for too long!

Last night was also the longest stretch that he's slept through the night so far...we're not sure if it was the trauma from the swimming pool (which really didn't seem to bother him for more than a few seconds), the overstimulation from all the people smiling and playing with him, the fact that we ended up getting home late and he didn't fall asleep until much later than normal, or the glass of wine that Michaela had....anyway you look at it, he slept for about 7 hours straight...needless to say, we were pretty pleased...we'd love it if this is a sign of things to come, but you just never know with a baby.

As Michaela mentioned in the last post, she sadly has to go back to work on Monday...it is definitely going to be hard on all three of us, but we'll manage...at least we have relatives to watch him for another month, so he won't actually have to start daycare until he's over 4 months old...always a plus!..Michaela iss going to hate that I posted this picture, but she's out running 6 miles this morning and I'm the one posting, so she'll have to deal with it! ;) I love this picture, as they both seem so peaceful....it really has been amazing to see how Michaela has changed over these past 3 months with the baby...she has become such a wonderful mother to Landon...she knows every cry he has, knows what to do in every fussy situation, and just brings a huge smile to his face every time she walks into the room....I feel so blessed to be the third member of this trio (well, quintet if you count the dogs)....every day I get to wake up and remember that I have the most beautiful wife in the world and the hands down cutest baby of all time (no offense to all you parents out there, but this is my blog....AND I PLAY FAVORITES!!!)
I'm pretty excited for my first ever Father's Day tomorrow...my plans include getting up for an early morning round of golf with my Dad (it's been 3 months since I played last...coincidence??)...then I'm coming home and spending the whole afternoon hanging out with the family...and hopefully watching a little bit of the US Open... if I'm lucky!
I've only got a few more minutes before he's going to wake up and I'll have to feed him, so this is it for today...I hope you all have a great weekend, and a wonderful Father's Day to all you Dad's.

No comments: