Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Hey All,

I hope your weekend has been relaxing and fun up to this point. Ours has been very nice, as we enjoyed going out to a nice lunch at California Pizza Kitchen, ran a couple of errands, and came home for a nice long afternoon nap (well, Michaela and Landon took a nap while I watched the Dark Knight). We also managed to finish and file our taxes yesterday, so that's a nice monkey to get off of our back! All in all, it was a good Valentine's Day. Here's a shot of Landon in his Valentine's Day outfit that he went to school in on Friday. The shirt reads: "Heart Breaker", which is fitting.


While we were at CPK, Landon got to try some Garlic Foccaccia bread (which he liked, but not so much on the tomatoes), and we gave him a couple of small bites of their famous BBQ Chicken Pizza...we think he enjoyed it, but he was pretty distracted through most of lunch. There was a father and son (the boy was probably about 10) at a table close by and they made it their mission to get Landon to smile or giggle. Landon is funny because most of the time he is a happy, giggly baby...but every so often he goes into his "so serious" mode, where he furrows his brow and just studies things...yesterday that mode kicked in at lunch and he was utterly perplexed by the father and son...so he spent about 30 minutes just staring at these two, without a single giggle or smile....the father said it was the first time he struck out in getting a baby to laugh at him...Michaela and I had to reassure him that he really does smile...oh well, it was fun for us to watch and laugh at while it was happening.


Tne big thing that we did this weekend was to switch the carseats to a forward-facing position. We've considered doing it for a while now, and while the specific guidelines say that the baby needs to be one year old AND be a certain weight, we felt it was the right time for us and Landon. He blew by the weight requirement months ago, and he's actually so big that it's tough on all of us to get him into the car and his long legs were constantly hitting the back of the seat which just looked uncomfortable. So we made the switch yesterday and I'm glad to report that he loves it! He now gets to see what we're doing in the front seat, and he is allowed more time to focus on things outside the car than when he was facing backwards.


Another topic that I wanted to share with you was Landon's recent news from school. Since he's so young, I don't want to use the term "bully", but it's coming to mind right now. Apparently the teachers have reported to us that Landon and a few of his buddies play pretty rough. I guess they have figured out how to grab the back of each other's shirts and yank each other to the ground! To top it off, Landon has a very good grasp of what the word "no" means now, and much to our chagrin, he really doesn't like that word. So after he cruises over and yanks one of his friends to the ground, his teachers will tell him "Landon, no thank you" and he will promptly throw a fit! The teachers assure us that this is normal (I mean, who really likes to hear the word "no"?), and that it's actually a good sign that he really gets what it means...but still, it's a little mortifying to be the parent of the class bully...especially when he's the one of the youngest of all his friends!

On to other topics...

The weather here has been less than stellar, which is exactly how I like it in February. It is SUPER windy today, and has rained off and on for the past week or so...I'm pretty sure that California really needed it, so as long as we can keep our dogs' muddy paws off of the furniture, we'll be in good shape.

One funny thing that we wanted to share with you today was a recent video of Landon dancing. He's come to break out in dance anytime he hears a good beat (he gets this from his Daddy), and this morning he was all about it. We have this "Fridge DJ" toy that plays different songs, and there's one called "Anny-OOO" that is particularly catchy...as you'll hear in the video, Michaela and I know it by heart and we've had it stuck in our heads plenty of times. So without further ado, here's our little dancin' machine!



As for the coming week, I'm fairly excited because I get to stay home on Monday! I'm having to use a vacation day for it, but since Landon's school will be closed for the holiday, one of us needed to stay home with him and it was my turn...so we'll see what kind of mischeif the boys can get into while Mom's away.

We're also pretty excited because in the next few weekends we've got some playdates lined up for Landon. It should be a fun time for all of us, because we really don't get to see Landon interacting with kids that often (usually only for the few short minutes when we pick up or drop him off at daycare)...so we'll see how he does.

And with that, I'll call it a day. We're off to go on a walk in the wind and rain with the dogs, followed up by a trip to the grocery store and who knows what else.

Enjoy your day off and we'll see you soon.

No comments: