Saturday, November 14, 2009

What If?

So as I sit and observe Landon's crazy antics, I wondered to myself "what if the adult world was the same as the toddler world?". Here are some of my observations of Landon over the past few days and then what that would translate to in our grown-up world....hope you enjoy!


When Landon wants something his patience is slim-to-none (as you would expect from one his age), so he simply repeats the word over and over again with increasing volume until he gets what he wants...for instance, this morning it was "juice, juice....JUICE, JUICE, JUICE!!!!"....it went like this until voila!, out of nowhere both Mommy and Daddy had their hands extended with cups of juice right in front of his face.....I do want to point out that we are working with him on his patience, but come on...the kid is still 4 months shy of 2 years old, so we're not expecting a miracle.


Anyhow, can you imagine if we could do the same thing? I actually tried it last night...I sat on our couch and started saying "one million dollars, one million dollars, ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!"...but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe I should try it again in the presence of Bill Gates or something....


Another thing that Landon still does (much to my chagrin) is throw his food when he is done eating. We've mentioned before that he's a great eater, but he literally gives us about 2.5 seconds of notice before he starts chucking his food. He'll just be sitting there eating and jibber-jabbering away one second, then we'll hear the magic words "all done", and if we don't hop to it and grab his plate away from him lickety split, it becomes a free-for-all with chicken nuggets and green beans flying all over the place....let me tell you, our dogs love it!


Can you imagine if we could do that as well? Obviously I wouldn't try it at home (since I'd be the one to have to clean it up), but what if we could do that at restaraunts? I'd like to try it at Macaroni Grill as it's really loud already, a totally wide open room (so plenty of area to throw), and the best part of all...they serve spaghetti! We would just be sitting there eating, then I could whisper "all done", and BOOM!...chuck a handful of pasta and meatballs at the closest person, or maybe the server depending on how the service was....now THAT would be fun.

Something else that I noticed about Landon (and toddlers in general) is the way that they "go go go" like a runaway freight train all day long until they basically hit the wall, at which point they fall asleep wherever they may be. I'm thinking that if adults were this way we'd be a heck of a lot more productive, but the world would probably be a lot more dangerous. On one hand we'd be able to get a ton of things done during the day...on the other hand we could easily be driving home or about town when we hit our wall...and sleeping drivers on the road is probably not a good thing. Maybe that's how Spain started the Siesta tradition....work hard during the day, get tired mid-day so shut down the town for a nap, then work hard again for a few more hours...hmmm..


The final thing I wanted to mention with regards to this topic is the fact that no matter what kind of an accident he has had, if Landon is upset or hurt he knows that running to his Mommy will make everything in his world alright. Wouldn't the world be a better place if this were true? Get laid off, dumped by a girlfriend, or did your house burn down? Don't worry, Mommy will make it all better. Get arrested, have no money to pay your bills, or get in a car accident? No sweat, Mommy is here! Oh well...I guess some things just can't (and shouldn't) be un-learned....



I hope you enjoyed this little game of "what if?"....as for us, this is going to be sort of a short weekend for me, as I'm flying back to New York again tomorrow morning (my flight leaves at an alarming 6am!).....and I'll be there through Wednesday....so Michaela is going to be holding down the fort with Landon while I'm away. It's amazing how fast this year has been flying by and I don't see it slowing down any time soon as we have the Holiday season basically upon us.


Have a great weekend everyone and we'll see you soon!

1 comment:

BeccaMac said...

Great Post! I'm really interested in trying some of these things out. I'm going to go over to the big house right now and just start yelling finish, finish, FINISH! or maybe I'll wait until Mon. when there's actually someone in there working...keep them motivated!