I want to put a disclaimer at the top of this post, that all of the pictures you will see are
from Friday night. Michaela, Nicole, Ashley, Scott, Landon, and I went to Dovewood Court to look at Christmas lights. There was a ton of people there, but it was fun to see how "done-up" all of the houses were. Afterwards, we came back to our house and watched Elf. Here's a pic of Landon where he's just about passed out on his cousin Ashley during the movie.
I thought it would be fun to do a David Letterman-esque “Top 10” list today…who knows, if it works out, maybe this will be a semi-recurring feature…and if not, then oh well…no harm, no foul!
Top 10 reasons to love the holidays
10. It’s about as cold as it gets, which means we get to actually use the fireplace!
9. Christmas lights around the neighborhood. We get to see who’s creative, who’s lazy, and who just doesn’t care.
8. Holiday Baking = Cookies, Brownies, Fudge, and all kinds of goodies!
7. New Years Resolutions that typically include some form of weight loss (see #8).
6. Holiday movie classics. We’ll be watching Elf tonight and White Christmas next week. For some reason it always helps us get into the spirit of things!
5. The presents! Sure it’s nice to get a new movie, jacket, or coffee mug. But I really enjoy giving the gifts, rather than receiving them. Weird how that works, isn’t it?
4. Christmas music. The immortal Bing Crosby always helps to remind us what music was like before being replaced by subwoofers and electric guitars.
3. Tamales! I know, this is kind of random…but Michaela’s family has a tradition of making homemade tamales that are nothing short of spectacular…I’m getting hungry just thinking about them!
2. Traditions. Most of these already listed are traditions that our families have passed down throughout the years. Not only is it fun to remember those of years’ past, but Michaela and I are also looking forward to making our own family traditions in the
years to come.
1. Family. More than anything else, the holidays are a reason to be with the ones that you love. While we don’t get to see everyone as much as we would like, it is important to make the effort around the holidays to do so. Whether it’s eating tamales, watching a movie, opening presents, going to church, or simply just “being there”, it’s definitely the best part about the holidays to us!

1b.Time Off. Ok, you thought I was going to finish with Family, didn’t you? Well sure, that is great and everything, but who are we kidding, if one day off is great, two weeks off is freaking awesome!!!
Ok, so now that I got that out of my system…there isn’t a whole bunch of stuff to report from the last post on Wednesday. Landon tried some Chicken & Garlic ravioli last night, and he loved them! He continues to do really well with the self-feeding and is almost at the point where he is boycotting us giving him food anymore. We think he just enjoys making the mess and doesn’t want us to help him…while it makes for more “cleanup time”, it is fun to watch him try.

We’re planning a pretty low-key weekend, but things can change in a heart beat. We would like to take Landon to go see Santa Claus this weekend, and if we can manage to get a picture of him where he doesn’t look terrified, we’ll definitely post it online. By the way, this picture shows our favorite house on Dovewood Court. It's a Jimmy Buffett-themed house ,complete with a Flip-Flop Repair Shop and Margarita-mixing blender that actually spins! That's our kind of Christmas house!
I also wanted to say that I recently went back and read through some of the blog posts from last February-April. It was pretty fun to go back and re-read what our thoughts/feelings were like before Landon was born and those first few weeks afterwards. We really had no idea what we were in for, and looking back on it all, I wish I could have advised us to do a few things differently. But all things considered, I think that these first 9 months have gone pretty smoothly.
I got to thinking about this because we know several people that are pregnant and will be expecting their first child soon. My cousins Kristi and Brianne will be Mommies in the spring
of 2009, and one of Michaela’s closest friends, Becca, is due in early 2009. I can just imagine the worries and the excitement that each couple is feeling right now. While I am in no way shape or form jealous of the anticipation that they are going through, I am a little jealous about the magic that they experience that first time you hold your baby. It is one of the most amazing feelings in the world and I am very excited for all of them.
That’s about it for today. Hope you have a great weekend, don’t go too crazy doing your Christmas shopping, and remember to blare that Bing Crosby music (I mean something needs to drown out that rap crap!).
Have a good one.
Top 10 reasons to love the holidays
10. It’s about as cold as it gets, which means we get to actually use the fireplace!
9. Christmas lights around the neighborhood. We get to see who’s creative, who’s lazy, and who just doesn’t care.
8. Holiday Baking = Cookies, Brownies, Fudge, and all kinds of goodies!
7. New Years Resolutions that typically include some form of weight loss (see #8).
5. The presents! Sure it’s nice to get a new movie, jacket, or coffee mug. But I really enjoy giving the gifts, rather than receiving them. Weird how that works, isn’t it?
4. Christmas music. The immortal Bing Crosby always helps to remind us what music was like before being replaced by subwoofers and electric guitars.
3. Tamales! I know, this is kind of random…but Michaela’s family has a tradition of making homemade tamales that are nothing short of spectacular…I’m getting hungry just thinking about them!
2. Traditions. Most of these already listed are traditions that our families have passed down throughout the years. Not only is it fun to remember those of years’ past, but Michaela and I are also looking forward to making our own family traditions in the
years to come.
1. Family. More than anything else, the holidays are a reason to be with the ones that you love. While we don’t get to see everyone as much as we would like, it is important to make the effort around the holidays to do so. Whether it’s eating tamales, watching a movie, opening presents, going to church, or simply just “being there”, it’s definitely the best part about the holidays to us!
1b.Time Off. Ok, you thought I was going to finish with Family, didn’t you? Well sure, that is great and everything, but who are we kidding, if one day off is great, two weeks off is freaking awesome!!!
Ok, so now that I got that out of my system…there isn’t a whole bunch of stuff to report from the last post on Wednesday. Landon tried some Chicken & Garlic ravioli last night, and he loved them! He continues to do really well with the self-feeding and is almost at the point where he is boycotting us giving him food anymore. We think he just enjoys making the mess and doesn’t want us to help him…while it makes for more “cleanup time”, it is fun to watch him try.
We’re planning a pretty low-key weekend, but things can change in a heart beat. We would like to take Landon to go see Santa Claus this weekend, and if we can manage to get a picture of him where he doesn’t look terrified, we’ll definitely post it online. By the way, this picture shows our favorite house on Dovewood Court. It's a Jimmy Buffett-themed house ,complete with a Flip-Flop Repair Shop and Margarita-mixing blender that actually spins! That's our kind of Christmas house!
I also wanted to say that I recently went back and read through some of the blog posts from last February-April. It was pretty fun to go back and re-read what our thoughts/feelings were like before Landon was born and those first few weeks afterwards. We really had no idea what we were in for, and looking back on it all, I wish I could have advised us to do a few things differently. But all things considered, I think that these first 9 months have gone pretty smoothly.
I got to thinking about this because we know several people that are pregnant and will be expecting their first child soon. My cousins Kristi and Brianne will be Mommies in the spring
That’s about it for today. Hope you have a great weekend, don’t go too crazy doing your Christmas shopping, and remember to blare that Bing Crosby music (I mean something needs to drown out that rap crap!).
Have a good one.
No comments:
Post a Comment